This year, ABAC adopted the theme “People, Place and Prosperity” (“Tāngata, Taiao, me te Taurikura”).
The 2021 work program will focus on the following priorities:
- Advancing social and economic progress.
- Promoting indigenous economic development.
- Enhancing women’s participation in trade.
- Building MSME capabilities.
- Adopting principles for climate change leadership.
- Developing a framework for renewable energy transition and trade.
- Levelling the playing field for environmentally responsible production and trade.
- Creating a sustainable, inclusive, digitally-enhanced and trade-friendly APEC food system.
- Supporting the rules-based trading system.
- Working to realize FTAAP.
- Building an enabling environment for digital technology.
- Rebuilding and revitalizing economies.
Detailed recommendations will be developed during the course of 2021 on the priorities identified in the work program. ABAC's recommendations will be conveyed to APEC governments through a range of avenues including to APEC Senior Officials, Trade SME and Finance Ministers and directly to APEC Economic Leaders at the annual Dialogue with APEC Leaders.